The Social Services Department

The social services department supports you regarding questions about study grants as well as social, financial and debt counselling. Through the student representation, several grants are available to you and our advisor will help you to get as much support as possible.


Vanessa Hoffellner

Vanessa Hoffellner

HV-Mandatar*in, Kollegiumsmitglied, Sozial- & Diversitätsreferent*in (VSStÖ)
Anna Hackl

Anna Hackl

Sachbearbeiter*in Sozial- und Diversitätsreferat

Information on grants and exemptions

GIS (television and radio licence fee) Exemption

From 1 January 2024, the Austrian public broadcaster ORF will introduce a new form of financing, the ORF contribution, which will be collected by ORF-Beitrags Service GmbH. This replaces the previous licence fee and extends to all main residences in order to close the previous "streaming gap".

"If you are in need of social and/or physical assistance, you can apply for an exemption from ORF contributions. (see:

Who is entitled?

An exemption can be applied for if you receive a student grant, minimum income, care allowance, pension, unemployment benefit, benefits from other public funds, childcare allowance and if a person is deaf or severely hearing impaired. However, the net household income must not exceed the statutory exemption reference rate (1 person: €1,151.14 (from 1 January 2024 €1,243.49), 2 persons: €1,820.80 (from 1 January 2024 €1,961.75) and each additional person: €178.08 (from 1 January 2024 €191.87)) (see:

Eligibility requirements:

  • Age of majority of the applicant of the applicant
  • Applicant must not be a pretender in order to obtain the exemption
  • The exemption may only be granted for the applicant's home.
  • It must be the main residence
  • The radio reception equipment is located in living rooms (see:

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Are you eligible? Here you can access the liberation calculator::

Libration Calculator

How can I request the exemption? Here you can find the application forms:

Application Forms

Exemption from prescription fees

Persons with health insurance must expect to pay prescription fees when they go to the pharmacy to get a medicine with a doctor's prescription. This fee amounts to EUR 6.85 (value for 2023). However, certain people can apply for an exemption.

Who is entitled?

You can apply for an exemption from prescription charges if you are in social need, receive a pension with a compensatory allowance, have above-average expenses due to illnesses and ailments, have notifiable communicable diseases, exceed the upper limit for prescription charges or are doing community service.

Entitlement to exemption from prescription charges on application:

The application can be submitted directly to the health insurance company together with the current proof of income.

Exemption from prescription charges is granted on application if the net income of all persons living in the same household does not exceed the following standard rates:

The following are exempt on application to the health insurance fund

Persons whose monthly net income does not exceed the following limits:

  • Single person: 1,110.26 euros
  • Single persons with an increased need for medication: 1,276.80 euros
  • Married couples or cohabiting couples: 1,751.56 euros
  • Married couples or cohabiting couples with an increased need for medication: 2,014.29 euros
  • Standard value increase per co-insured child: 171.31 euros

You can find more information here.

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Where can I find the application forms?

Request for prescription exemption

Online application form

Study Grants

The purpose of the study grant is to cover the part of the study costs that parents who are liable to pay maintenance are unable to bear due to their income situation. The exact legal provisions on study grants can be found in the Student Support Act (StudFG 1992).

The study grant can be applied for online from the comfort of your own home, regardless of opening hours. Alternatively, the forms are available for download at

To be reminded of such dates, register with the ÖH-Reminder of the Federal Representation. You will be notified by SMS once you have registered.

Who is entitled?

In principle, Austrian citizens and "equivalent foreign nationals and stateless persons" are entitled to study grants. The exact definition of "foreign nationals and stateless persons" can be found on the website of the Student Aid Office.

Eligibility requirements:

  • Ordinary degree programme at Austrian universities of applied sciences
  • Social eligibility
  • Presentation of a favourable study result
  • The period of study may not be exceeded by more than one semester (unless one of the following reasons applies: Illness, pregnancy, care and upbringing of a child within the first six years of life, disability, military service, training or civilian service or service under the Voluntary Service Act or in an unforeseen or unavoidable event)
  • Studies must have begun before the age of 33
  • No completion of an equivalent programme in Switzerland or abroad (exceptions apply to short courses and doctoral and Master's programmes)
  • Compliance with transfer regulations when changing degree programme

Depending on the application, the eligibility criteria are evaluated and the applicant's study grant is calculated on this basis.

Am I eligible for a scholarship? Click here for the AK scholarship calculator.



Scholarship Office Linz
Ferihumerstraße 15, 4040 Linz
Tel: +43 732/66 40 31
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (9 a.m. to 12 p.m.)

Important: Please state your matriculation number, personal identification number or social security number when enquiring!

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Study Grant Office

Housing Grants

The housing subsidy is a grant from the Province of Upper Austria, which is paid out monthly in the form of non-repayable subsidies for a period of one year and serves to reduce housing costs. The calculation of the housing subsidy is subject to a variety of factors and conditions, which are taken into account in individual cases by means of an application to the Province of Upper Austria.

Who is entitled?

  • Tenant of a subsidised flat
  • Tenant of a non-subsidised flat

What requirements must be met?

  • The housing subsidy applicant must permanently occupy the subsidised flat as their main residence in order to satisfy their housing needs.
  • The housing costs must be unreasonable.
  • The housing subsidy applicant must be an Austrian citizen or "EEA citizen".
  • Non-EEA citizens may only be granted a grant if they have had their main residence in Austria legally and without interruption for more than five years, receive income that is subject to income tax in Austria, or have paid contributions to the statutory social insurance scheme in Austria on the basis of gainful employment and now receive benefits from it, and have received the above-mentioned income or benefits for 54 months within the last five years and can provide proof of German language skills.
  • A housing subsidy can be granted for a period of one year from the date of application.
  • Other subsidies to reduce housing costs to which the housing subsidy applicant has a legal entitlement (e.g. rent subsidy under the Income Tax Act or housing cost subsidy under the Army Fees Act) reduce the entitlement to housing subsidy.
  • Minimum income above the marginal earnings threshold
  • Students who do not receive a study grant and cannot prove that they have a minimum income can be granted a housing allowance reduced by 50 per cent.

There is no housing benefit for

  • Condominiums or owner-occupied homes.
  • Home places.


(Status: 21 October 2023)

Further information and the application form can be found here:

Housing Grants

Social fund of the federal ÖH

The social fund of the Federal ÖH is for all students who find themselves in a financial emergency. A one-off financial support is paid out each calendar year.

The financial emergency may have arisen as a result of

  • suddenly increased housing costs,
  • Study costs,
  • Expenses for the care and support of own children,
  • Expenditure on medical treatment,
  • or other emergency situations that have arisen through no fault of their own.


  • Social need within the meaning of the guidelines
  • No longer living with parents
  • No study allowance
  • Proof of sufficient academic success

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Further information and the application form can be found here:

​Social fund of the federal ÖH

Social fund of the ÖH FH Oberösterreich

Our social pot is for all students who find themselves in a financial emergency. A one-off financial support is paid out each calendar year.

The financial emergency may have arisen as a result of

  • suddenly increased housing costs,
  • Study costs,
  • Expenses for the care and support of own children,
  • Expenditure on medical treatment,
  • or other emergency situations that have arisen through no fault of their own.


  • Social need as defined by the April 2021 guidelines
  • No longer living with parents
  • No study allowance
  • Proof of sufficient academic success

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Self-sustaining scholarship

All students who have already worked for at least 4 years before their studies can apply for a self-employed scholarship.

Eligibility requirements:

  • Receipt of income for a period of at least 4 years (48 months)
  • Income during this period must have been at least € 11,000 (gross minus social insurance and € 132 lump sum for income-related expenses) (periods of military service, training or civilian service or service under the Voluntary Service Act are considered periods of self-employment; orphan's pension and apprenticeship periods can also be taken into account if the amount is appropriate).
  • Student must be within the age limit of 32 years. However, this can be increased if the student has been self-supporting for more than four years. Each additional year of self-support therefore means that the age limit is increased by one year. This is possible up to the age of 37.
  • Submission of proof of academic success
  • The Chamber of Labour and the Austrian National Union of Students offer an online tool to help you find out whether you are likely to receive financial aid.

Additional income limit:

Students are allowed to earn money while receiving the study grant. Please note the following:

  • The current additional income limit is €15,000 per calendar year. This is increased if maintenance is paid for your own children (by at least €3,000 per child, see details)

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Scholarship Office

Performance Scholarship

Performance scholarships are intended for students and graduates (whose degree was completed no more than two semesters ago) who are achieving or have achieved outstanding academic performance (= grade point average of 1.8 or better) as measured by the study regulations. Performance scholarships can be applied for at the respective university. If the scholarship is advertised, you will receive information from theuniversity by email.

The student must fulfil the requirements for the study grant, with the exception of social eligibility. The grants range between 700 and 1,500 euros, but there is NO legal entitlement to this scholarship. The scholarship for the respective academic year is paid out in autumn.

(Status: 21 October 2023)

Private Scholarships

The Austrian Database for Scholarships and Research Grants is the most comprehensive online database of its kind in Austria for all academic fields. It offers funding for students, graduates and researchers within Austria, as well as incoming (to Austria) and outgoing (from Austria to ...) scholarships. Grants, prizes and research funding can also be searched.

In addition to details on submission conditions (submission deadline and submission office), the information also includes details on the duration, contingent and funding of the respective funding.

The permanent maintenance of the database is carried out by the Austrian Exchange Service (ÖAD) or directly by the scholarship and grant-awarding organisations, which guarantees that the data is always up to date. This database is funded by the Federal Ministry of Science and Research and the EU.

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Psychosocial support services

Sometimes studying can also become a burden. A large proportion of students have to deal with psychological problems during their studies, but only very few of them take advantage of help. There are some offers that you can access for free and confidentially.


Foreign grants

All those who already receive a study grant have the opportunity to apply for an international grant. This is paid out for a stay abroad of one to 20 months in addition to the study grant. The amount of the foreign grant depends on the respective living and study costs in the host country. A maximum of €582 per month can be paid out in addition. The application must be submitted no later than three months after studying abroad.

(Status: 21 October 2023)


Scholarship Office

Mobility Scholarship

A mobility grant can be obtained if you are studying in the EEA or Switzerland. The scholarship will only be paid out in the first year after the successful completion of at least 15 ECTS credits. From the second year onwards, evidence must be provided of favourable academic success from previous studies.

Important! This must be applied for every year!

Eligibility requirements:

  • The degree programme is completed at a recognised university, university of applied sciences or university of teacher education
  • At least five years of uninterrupted residence in Austria
  • You have not yet completed a degree programme (exception: after completing a Bachelor's degree programme, you can apply for a mobility grant for the subsequent Master's degree programme)
  • The applicant must not be studying in Austria at the same time or receive any other financial support
  • Social eligibility

The amount of the mobility grant is calculated in the same way as the amount of the study grant for domestic studies and is approximately € 7,040. (For more information on the calculation see here.)

(Status 21 October 2023)



Funding for stays abroad of 3 to 12 months per study cycle is possible with Erasmus+. Several stays abroad can also be combined, as long as the total length of one year is not exceeded. The monthly funding amount varies depending on the host country. Students with fewer opportunities receive additional monthly funding.

Do you need further information or support for your stay abroad? The International Office of the FH Upper Austria is happy to help.

International Office Hagenberg

International Office Linz

International Office Steyr

International Office Wels

(as at 21 October 2023)




The Federal Representation of the Austrian National Union of Students (Federal ÖH) offers the project "ÖH-Helpline" in cooperation with the “Verein für Psychotherapie”. You can reach us during consultation hours at +43/1/585 33 33.

Consulting hours of the ÖH-Helpline:

Monday: 15:00-18:00

Wednesday: 16:00-18:00

Thursday: 16:00-18:00

Student Counseling


Psychological Student Counseling Linz
Altenbergerstrasse 69, 4040 Linz
University fund building, 1st floor

In urgent cases please contact the following offices:

Crisis Aid Upper Austria

You can find more information here.
Phone: 0732 – 2177

Online crisis consulting

Telephone Pastoral Care Upper Austria
Emergency call 142 (available around the clock)

Women's Helpline
Phone: 0800 - 222 555

Neuromed Campus (former LNK Wagner-Jauregg)
Phone: 05 - 7680 87 – 0


Further information centers:

Center for Protection against Violence Upper Austria
Opening hours:
Mon - Fri 9 - 13 hours, Tue and Thu 9 - 20 hours
Appointment after arrangement
Phone: 0732 / 60 77 60  |


POINT advice center for addiction questions
Figulystraße 32
4020 Linz

Mon: 10.00 - 14.00 hours
Tue: 13.00 - 17.00 hours
Thu: 13.00 - 17.00 hrs
Fri: 10.00 - 14.00 hrs

Tel: 0732/77 08 950 |


Autonomous Women's Center Linz
Starhembergstraße 10, Ecke Mozartstraße, 2nd floor
4020 Linz

Our opening hours:
Mon to Th: 08:00 - 16:00
Fri: 08:00 - 13:00

Availability by telephone:
Mon to Fri: 09:00 - 12:00
Mon and Thu: 13:00 - 16:00

Phone:  0732/60 22 00 |



Men's counseling
Bürgerstraße 6
4020 Linz
Phone: 0732 7720 53 300 |

Opening hours:
Mon, Tue, Thu: 8-12 and 13-16
Wed, Fri: 8-12

Despite careful control of the contents, we do not assume any liability for the contents of external links, for which the operators are exclusively responsible.

(Status: 09/29/2019)

Frequent searchterms
Close searchbar